Back in the early 1990's, one of our computer programmers talked endlessly about a new method of communicating that would (in his words) someday revolutionize business. Though
none of us had heard much about this concept, he was passionate and determined to persuade us to make a small investment that would (he was convinced) yield a large return at
a later date. The technology was the Internet, and he was asking us to spend the modest amount of money needed to secure the web address
www.guard.com. Since we placed a lot of faith in him (if not yet in the idea), we followed his advice, reaped many benefits, and had the wisdom of this message reinforced many times:
listen to your people!
We believe this story is very representative of our culture:
- We recognize that some of the best, most important ideas come from the people doing the daily work of the company so we maintain an open-door policy.
- We understand that different, "outside-the-box" concepts should never be ignored, especially those that are held most passionately by a member of our staff.
- We value technology and have generally been on the edge of innovation.
- We appreciate the need to plan ahead and position ourselves for the future.
- We are receptive to change.
- We expect to grow and be successful, and we are confident in our ability to overcome obstacles that stand in our way.
Berkshire Hathaway GUARD is an organization built upon the combined efforts and hard work of many talented individuals committed to excellence. Our unique culture and work environment
have been critical to our success.